Have you seen God? The answer from most of you would be No. But the fans of cricket have different point of view. For those whose religion is cricket, God is Sachin. Mathew Hayden, former Australian opener once said that “I’ve seen the God. He bats at no. 4 in tests for India”. Can you believe a player of opponent team praising you like this? It would only happen when the guy is a real legend. He is the most worshipped cricketer. With no offense to other cricketing legends, we present you some facts that makes Sachin the legend of all time.
1. He has played whole life: He started training at eleven, played for India at the age of sixteen and represented India for 24 long years. During this time, he scored 100 international centuries – the only player to do so till date. He is the first one to make a stunning double century in ODI format. He is the only player who has made 30,000+ runs in international cricket. He is the first Indian to score 50,000+ runs together in domestic and international matches. Many of his records are unbeaten and might remain unbeaten forever. Representing a nation for 24 years!! – you can say he has played his whole life.
2. He has received lots of priceless awards: Tendulkar has received many priceless awards including Arjuna award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, Padma Vibhusan & Padma Shri award. The latter are India’s second and fourth highest civilian awards. He was awarded the highest civilian award of India i.e. Bharat Ratna just after few hours of playing last match. There are many more awards that he has won.
3. Compliments from Wisden Cricketers Almanack: Wisden has named him the second greatest batsmen of all time in ODI as well as tests. He was the only Indian player being included in all time World XI for tests. This happened at the 150th anniversary of Wisden Cricketers Almanack.
4. Providing amazing performance and still no ego: Tendulkar scored his first ODI century in his early twenties against Australia. He scored the highest runs in 1996 world cup. Before the Australia’s tour of India in 1998, Sachin had already scored three back to back centuries. The main focus was the clash between Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne who was also at the peak of his career. During the 3 day match between Ranji Champions Mumbai and Australia, Sachin made an unbeaten score of 204 as Warne was charged 111 runs in just 16 overs. Following this, India also snatched test series from Australia. He was out of form and suffered from injury but returned to original form like a tiger. Still the man had no ego.
5. Winning World cup 2011 has been a biggest milestone ever: Before 2011, he had appeared in 5 world cups for India but won none. It was a dream for him to win it for India. Making 482 runs at a stunning average of 53.55, he finished the tournament as the leading run scorer for India. India beat Sri Lanka in the finals and that was the proudest moment of his life. He couldn’t control the tears.
The glories and milestones Sachin has achieved can fill the books. He is retired but lives in the heart of millions of his fans. He is the complete batsmen ever and hence considered the legend of all time.